Here are some green and cool facts about plants. I hope you will like them.
- Two famous presidents of the United States, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew cannabis sativa (marijuana) on their plantations.
- Corpse flower or Rafflesia is the largest single flower. They normally grow 3 feet in diameter and a corpse flower was measured to be 42 inches in diameter. It is found in Sumatra.
- Did you know the oldest living thing in existence is a bristlecone pine in the white mountains of California. It is 4,600 years old. It is nicknamed ‘Methuselah’.
- A single tree normally produces 260 pounds of oxygen in a year which is enough for a family of four people.
- A single tree can absorb as much carbon in a year as a car produces, driven over 8500 miles. Now plant more trees!
- Squirrels play an important role in growing new trees in the world, they bury nuts and then forget where they hid them.
- A healthy birch tree can produce as much as 1 million seeds in a year’s time(not in a lifetime).
- The Tree of Hippocrates is located in Kos, Greece. The legend has it that Hippocrates taught his pupils the art of medicine under this tree.
- According to an estimate there are about 100,000 different species of trees.
- Balsa tree’s wood is considered the lightest wood with the greatest strength. It is used in the construction of airplane models.
- A high percentage of the flowers in Australian rainforests are not found elsewhere.